Monday 14 May 2012

Greetings and goodbyes

This might be something we touch on at the networking workshop tomorrow evening but I had a funny moment as I left a meeting with 4 male contractors...last week - none of them offered to shake my hand as I left. It felt ok, but odd at the same time. 

A quick google on Shaking Hands and it becomes clear that, although the action is a reasonably universal greeting, it is also charged with cultural overtones.  Not shaking someone's hand - such as in a recent football controversy - can be a deliberate insult, yet some religions have definite views on shaking hands between men and women and presenting a hand can cause awkwardness.  Women don't tend to shake each other's hands when they meet each other whereas men do.  Consequently, in a business situation, some men must feel a bit unsure and wait for your lead.  The whole thing struck me as a subtle male/female difference that sort of gets in the way.  Normally I would probably have taken the initiative anyway and gone round one by one shaking hands and saying bye.  On that occasion I felt bamboozled by the meeting and I didn't have any 'umph' left to do it. 

The thing is, shaking hands is a good full stop:
"anyway, got to hit the A14,"
"yes, thanks, I'll send you that email"
shake hands
"ok, see you"
"cheerio"
leave

without it I found myself waving limply from the door and feeling just a bit pathetic.  


fast forward to Christmas drinks and there's the other dilemma of 'air kissing' or 'cheek rubbing' - you know what I mean - now how does THAT work??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment